Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year, New Blog

It's that time of year again, the time for making promises that hold value for a week or a month or so, and then slowly fade out and are forgotten, only to be remembered again close to this time next year when you revisit successes and failures, and vow to try again. I've never been much for resolutions, probably due in large part to an inability to keep up my end of the bargain and also in small part due to my excessive zeal in resolution options. 

The point of this rambling is that this is the newest attempt at holding true to a resolution, and at chronicling an experience that I know will eventually lead to this exchange:

Random person/family member/acquaintance/stranger: So, what have you been up to lately?
Me: Well, I spent the past (as of yet undetermined amount of time) living in Juneau, AK
RP/FM/A/S: Wow, what were you doing there?
Me: I was doing a program called JVC Nowrthwest, where I lived with 6 roommates in an intentional community, and did a year of service.
RP/FM/A/S: So you were teaching up there or something? (this is everyone's first idea)
Me: No, actually I worked for a program called ORCA, part of the independent living center in town, programming outdoor recreational opportunities for individuals with disabilities, ranging in age from second grade to senior citizens.
RP/FM/A/S: What a great program! So what else did you do while you were there?
Me: Well.....(awkward pause for thought)....I kayaked in a glacier lake and explored the ice caves
                   I actually did this, just way the hell back in August

And that's it. That's all I can think of. I'm speaking from experience here, it's like I just forget everything I've ever done, all of our daily planned and unplanned activities, and the crazy quirks that go on in a house of 7 in Juneau, AK with little to no money, no cable, and internet borrowed from neighbors mostly for the purpose of using Pandora while cooking. Which is crazy, because we do so much here, I wish I had a video camera strapped to my head 24/7 to capture it all.

So, in the spirit of http://365project.org/ (loosely), the plan is to post a picture a day, and hopefully at least a sentence of contextual support. But maybe not. So then, when I get that brain fart of how awesome this place is, I can look back on this and remember it all. Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment